New parents quickly get used to the sound of their baby crying at night, and while it’s certainly not a pleasant noise, it usually isn’t cause for alarm. But when you hear this incredible story from one lucky family in British Columbia, Canada, you’ll realize how much of a blessing a baby’s cries can actually be.
Canadian mother Monique Ruppel from Kamloops, BC, was fairly accustomed to her new baby Celia waking up crying once or twice during the night. But one Friday night, Celia’s cries seemed out of the ordinary. “Celia typically wakes once per night. We always get up with her and help her back to sleep,” Monique shared on her Facebook page. “On Friday at 3 am she stirred for the second time. I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo.”
Naturally, Monique’s husband Kyle woke up to help with Celia’s crying and Monique’s sudden illness, but was also struck down with a sick feeling, similar to Monique’s. “We both suffered from dizziness, headache, nausea, and burning eyes,” Monique further explained. She went on to tell CBC News that, “Celia was very sick when I got her out of her crib, she was vomiting and very lethargic.” The family also saw their domestic cat collapse on the floor.
With the whole family near incapacitated by the mysterious illness, Kyle’s parents rushed over to help and to call 911 for emergency assistance. The family was immediately taken for hospital, where their symptoms were quickly recognized as effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. Due to the urgent nature of their condition, they were airlifted to hospital in Vancouver, and underwent 3 2.5 hour dives in a Hyperbaric Chamber, the common treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning. Thankfully, they all lived to tell the tale.
Thanks to Celia’s crying, the family were able to receive the treatment they needed in time for this unexpected experience. “This precious little angel did something extraordinary,” said Monique, speaking of Celia’s warning. “Something she will not fully understand until she is grown. She literally saved our lives.” Monique also stressed to CBC News that families should make sure they have carbon monoxide detectors in their house, to avoid anyone having to go through what they went through - or worse.